10. Writing is easy. Writing well takes work.
9. It takes longer than a week to write 80,000 words.
8. Fiction means made-up. I’m not my sleuth, nor are you one of my characters.
7. Just because I’m staring into space doesn’t mean that I’m not working.
6. Characters take on lives of their own.
5. You never really get a day off.
4. Just because a writer asks the right questions doesn’t mean the answers are correct.
3. Asking a writer which character is their favourite is the same as asking a parent which child is their favourite.
2. Self-doubt is a constant companion.
1. As Dorothy Parker said, “I hate writing. I love having written.”
I like it, although I must admit I do like some of my characters more than others.